May 9, 1994: The Disappearance of Cleashindra Hall


On May 9, 1994, Cleashindra Hall (who went by Clea) was seen for the last time. At the time of her disappearance, she was 2 weeks from graduating high school. She had a bright future ahead of her, an honor student who had just landed a summer internship at a Boston pediatrician's office. She had just been accepted to Tennessee State University's pre-med program.

As of today, she has been missing for 26 years.


Clea was just like any other senior in high school, and she was a star. She was an honors student who was chosen to give the commencement speech at the ceremony. She attended her senior prom. She was planning to become a pediatrician, with internships and college acceptance letters supporting that dream. (1)

On top of her successful academic career, Clea held a job after school at the home of Dr. Larry Amos. After work, she would typically call her parents and ask for a ride home. She had no history of running away and was extremely responsible. She wasn't troubled, and had no real reason to abandon her life. (1)

On May 9, 1994, Clea left her job at Dr. Amos' home at around 8:30 PM. She had called her mom around 8, but was not ready to be picked up yet. She asked her mom to be ready for another phone call soon, but the call never came. (1)

Clea's mother, Laurell, fell asleep while waiting for her to call. At 1:00 AM, she woke up realizing that her daughter had never called asking for a ride. She checked her room and found out that Clea was not home. (1)

No one was scheduled to pick Clea up. Apparently, she told a co-worker that she planned to walk home that night, which was out of the ordinary. However, she had told her mom to expect a phone call when she needed to be picked up, so it seems strange that she said she planned to walk home. (2)

The next morning, Clea's parents contacted her boyfriend to see if he had seen her, but he had not. She didn't show up for class in the morning. She didn't have her purse, ID, or any extra clothes when she vanished, so it did not seem plausible that she left on her own accord. (2)

After Clea's failure to come home and attend school in the morning, her worried parents called the police at 9:00 PM on May 10. At this point, no one had seen her for almost 24 hours, but (it seems that) her parents assumed she could have just been somewhere without telling them and not believing it to be a police matter. Police said she had to be missing for 24 hours before investigating... But if she was last seen at 8:30 PM on May 9 and police were contacted at 9:00 PM on May 10, she had been missing for a full 24 hours. (2)

There was no sensible reason for Clea to have left. She was close with her family, was in the top of her class, and had never even stayed out late without parental permission. She was excited to have been asked to give the commencement speech in a few weeks at graduation, and was also excited to start working toward her dream as a pediatrician at Texas State University in the fall. She was active in extracurriculars at school and with her church, including church choir and band. (2)


All roads point to foul play. Some believe that Clea had decided to walk home and was abducted during her walk. However, other reports claim that Dr. Amos reported seeing her get into a car with someone he didn't know when she left her shift that night. (2)

After she went missing, suspicion began to fall around Dr. Amos. He was the last person to see her alive, so naturally, he was worth investigating. But on top of being the last person to see her alive, he left town for a few days on a business trip right after she went missing, and thus was not formally questioned until May 13. (3)

Once he was questioned, his story contradicted others. For instance, the ride home. Clea's co-worker reported that she offered Clea a ride home when they both got off of work, but Clea had said she planned to walk home. However, Dr. Amos claimed he saw her getting into a car. (This certainly seems fishy, but again, given that she had called her mom and told her to expect another call, it seems like her plan was to have her mom pick her up. Unless she just wanted to talk to her mom while walking home? But she never called her again.) (3)

Additionally, a few weeks before Clea disappeared, a friend had dropped her off at work, and Amos had been hostile toward him, allegedly saying, "I don't allow courting on my property", even though he wasn't Clea's boyfriend. Amos was also seem tearing down missing posters of Clea, and refused to take a polygraph test. He was not cooperative in the investigation. (3)

New evidence came to light in 2012 in the form of 2 witnesses who came forward and claimed they had done renovations on Amos' home after Clea went missing. One of them reported seeing blood on some insulation, while another recalled a terrible odor. Evidence was taken after a warrant was received to search the home, but everything came back negative, putting investigators back at square one. (3)

Their only real suspect was Dr. Amos. Given all of the different explanations/evidence from her trip home (Amos said she got picked up, Clea had told her mom to expect another call and her co-worker said she planned to walk), my theory is that, for some reason (perhaps it was a nice night?) she decided to walk home, but wanted to talk with her mom as she walked because it would be dark. But, she never got to call her mom because Dr. Amos killed her (for some reason). To me, that would be the only reason she hadn't called her mom. Even if she started walking and got abducted, why wouldn't she call her mom and let her know she was on her way home? Perhaps he was obsessed with her and knew she would soon be leaving for her new internship and for college and didn't want her to get away. His behavior after she went missing is super weird.

A person who claims to be friends with Clea made a Reddit post a few years ago, saying she was bright, beautiful, and full of laughter. She feels that her case has been riddled with mistakes from police and has begged for people to come forward with any information. (4)

Last year, Clea's mother was interviewed on the 25 year anniversary of her daughter's disappearance. "My husband and I will never stop looking until we have taken our last breath", she said. (5)

She has been involved in legislation for the C.A.R.T. Bill (Child Abduction Response Team), that's purpose is to bring together various agencies to collaborate in the event of a missing kid. Though she knows it won't help Clea, she hopes it will help other missing children. (5)

For 25 years, the family has released balloons on the anniversary of her disappearance with her face on them, in hopes that somebody will recognize her. Over a quarter of a decade later, they still hope that somebody comes forward with information that could help, and they still hold onto hope that one day they will see their child again. (5)







© 2023 by Train of Thoughts. Proudly created with